Ten Challenges of a Chief Innovation Officer
It is very easy to allocate funds and develop a strategy for innovation within an organization, however it is very difficult to make it successful and keep the interest of innovators. If innovation program is not managed well then it loses its importance in very short period of time. While implementing innovation program, there are many challenges such as operational, financial and resources, etc. However, ten main challenges for sustainable innovation management are discussed as following.
1. Innovation Governance is the key for major decision making, such as acceptance of an idea for incubation, funding of an idea and marketing of finished product or service. Innovation governance should have decision makers from various functions of an organization as well as from outside of the organization. It should also have subject matter experts. This varied group helps to select the best ideas for incubation. They also decide the funding required and helps to calculate the risk associated with the innovation idea. The challenge for innovation officer is to define most effective governance structure and proactive members for various roles of governance.
2. Innovation Team is essential to execute the innovation program. This team must have entrepreneurial mindset. Thus, they have to be psychologically assessed on their entrepreneurial skills before they are selected for various roles of innovation office. These team members should have varied experience and skills. Identifying such team is a serious challenge for chief innovation office as entrepreneurial quality people are few.
3. Innovation Process has to be very simple and transparent. There should not be delay/gap between two connecting processes. For example, after submission of an idea by innovator, its result has to be declared in very short time. Otherwise, innovator usually loses interest and rarely pursues idea to the next level. Also, chances of innovator to participate again are rare. Thus, innovation processes should speed up the procedure and not to hurdle the innovation program. Also, numbers of processes have to be minimal. Innovation office has to work like a startup. Thus, has to be more informal in processes and quick in action. Therefore, innovation officer has to manage the balance between organizational formal set of processes and informal set up of innovation office. Automated innovation program management portal is very useful for managing innovation processes.
4. Innovation Tools are essential for training of innovators. Very first time, innovators mostly fail to realize the concept of innovative idea. Thus, their ideas are unrealistic or less valuable to the organization. Many participants are enthusiastic to contribute in innovation program but may not be able to understand how to participate because they face challenges in generating ideas. Thus, innovation tools come handy for innovators. These tools help them to make their idea more powerful and useful to the organization. There are many tools available. But, the real challenge for innovation officer is how to train innovators on these tools. It is very difficult to train every interested person in class room. Therefore, best way is to use online learning.
5. Idea Selection for incubation is the process after idea submission by innovators. In this step, every idea is thoroughly investigated for its possible business potential and investment required. As investment is required in incubation and commercialization of an idea, every idea has to be analyzed on various risky parameters. Usually idea selection model is used to quantify the potential of an idea. Thus, innovation officer has to see that idea selection model is well defined and customized according to the need of domain and organizational business needs.
6. Innovation Portfolio has to be well balanced with combination of ideas having low (L) risk, medium (M) risk and high (H) risk. More the risk better is the rewards. However, more risk also leads to chances of investment loss. Thus, innovation officer has to define initial portfolio with lower risk and has to transform it to moderate risk portfolio over a period. Thus, first innovation portfolio should look like 10-20-70; it mean that 10% resources allocation for high risk projects, 20% for medium risk and 70% on low risk projects. After transformation, new portfolio should have more projects from both medium risk and high risk. Thus, new innovation portfolio should be 15-35-50 or 15-45-40 on H-M-L risk. The challenge for innovation office is to select the best proportion of projects of various risks, which suits the organization.
7. Rapid Prototype is the key in assessing the idea quickly and also reduces time required to take the idea to market. Agile methodology has to be adopted to develop the quick prototype of an idea. It reduces the investment required and gives better picture of an idea in a short period of time. It also reduces the risk because the idea can be judged before going into full-fledged production. Survey can be conducted on prototype to understand an acceptance of idea by customers. If the idea is well accepted by customers then prototype is transferred for production otherwise idea can be scrapped, thus it reduces further investment. The challenge for innovation officer is to select tool(s) and methodology for quick development of prototype with less investment.
8. Rewards and Recognitions is the integral part of innovation program. It attracts innovators for participation as well as it is the way to recognize their contribution. Though, the overall structure of rewards and recognition has to be in parallel with an organization policy, but considering the importance of innovation and psyche of participants, it has to be tweaked to match their interest. It is essential to give rewards or recognitions at each stage of innovation process. This keeps participants involvement very high. The challenge for innovation officer is to decide the rewards and the recognition given which will appeal the innovators. Officer also has to balance the organization's rewards and recognition policy and rewards given to innovators.
9. Innovator Engagement tactics keep innovator's participation high in the innovation program. Better engagement is possible only by transparent and automated processes. Innovators also have to be supported for idea elaboration and should be allowed to lead their ideas if selected for incubation. The innovation officer has to identify and implement all possible means to keep innovators engaged. Rewards and recognition also helps keep them engaged.
10. Success Measurement of innovation program is necessary as organizations are investing into program. Hence, they are interested to know how innovation program is effective within the organization. Challenge for innovation officer is to define the best measurement method. While defining measurement method, innovation officer has to decide the combination of non-financial and financial parameters for measurement. The non-financial parameters are very important during the early stages of innovation program. Also, it is essential to note that success measurement has to be aligned with the purpose of innovation program. Linking success only with the return on investment is most likely to showcase as failure of innovation program, which is not always true because many in-tangible benefits can be realized through innovation program.