Digital Transformation- What to Digital? How to Digital?
In my last Blog we talked about "WHY" part of digital transformation so as a next step in this blog we will talk about "WHAT and "HOW" part of digital transformation journey. We will see what the major pain points of customers are and how digital transformation will resolve these pain points?
Major Pain Points of Customers
- How to deal with legacy systems in enterprises?
- How to manage, ensure and maintain uniform digitally connected web platform?
- How to simplify complex IT business processes?
- How to provide unified customer/user experience (UX) across multiple channels (Agent, Web, Desktop and Mobile) products, devices and brands?
- How to build and reuse s/w business components or digital assets across the enterprise?
- How to engage all business stakeholders?
- How to keep pace with rapid technological changes?
- How to improve Insights driven business decisions?
- How to digitize the workplace?
- How to develop innovative solutions?
Digital Transformation: Logical Entities
Let us see what all logical entities are involved in digital transformation. Below diagram talks about WHAT TO DIGITAL?
Digital Transformation: One Stop Solution, How and What to Transform?
Let us see how to implement digital transformation? Below are the major strategic approaches to digitally transform your business enterprises. It is purely based on my experience so it can't be 100% full proof, there could be other viewpoints. Let us follow the below implementation philosophy. These major digitization categories could be part of digital transformation implementation journey in any global business organizations.
Digitization of Customer and Customer Experience
Digitization of customer and unified rich customer experience is the major goal of digital transformation journey. Multi-channel consistent experience improves the customer retention rate for your business enterprise. Organizations need to re-define and re-vamp customer and agent portals and other integrated system and business processes using latest cutting edge digital technologies. Focus on smart devices, usability and accessibility aspect could be major keys for ongoing system refinements. Let us plan for following :
- Implement rich, optimal, high performance digitally connected customer experience based design (UXD) for customer facing applications, products and portals.
- Implementation of Single Page Application (SPA) based on Responsive web design (RWD) standards
- Focus on mobility app driven approach for business critical application and portals good for wide range of smart devices, multi-channels and cross browsers.
- Customer Delight should always be on top priority
Digitization of Operational Process
Operational process digitization is another key area for digital transformation where organizations has to focus, redefine and revamp their internal and external operational processes like :
- Effective unified digital broader communication across organizational units
- Focus of employee first approach by enabling flexibility in work culture and environment
- Intelligent decision making and performance evaluation based on logical data points with 100% transparency.
- Formation of knowledge academy ( knowledge sharing communities) to implement knowledge/Skill worker programs
- Re-usability of tested and proven assets in IT simplification
- Connect the dots to achieve high quality operational excellence
Digitization of Business Models
Business model digitization is a niche area for digital transformation where organizations has to re-structure and redesign their existing business models, below are the core refinement areas in this category
- Design Innovative business solutions to grab customer attention
- Design iterative road-map for new products and services
- Focus on enterprise services integration via orchestration and augmentation
- Evaluation and on-boarding of external and internal digital products for digitization
- Customer centric business models based on 100% digital philosophy
Digitization of Marketing a.k.a Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is the best way to increase sales hence it plays vital role in digital transformation. Organizations simply cannot ignore its importance because of revenue involvement. Following can be considered to implement and enhance digital marketing platforms
- Implementation of online sales platforms (portals, mobile apps, loyalty & reward program etc.)
- Multi-channel marketing and branding of products (e-marketing, e-branding, e-commerce, m-commerce etc.)
- Advertising platforms through social media, internet, mouth publicity, classifieds, reviews, banners and blogs etc.
- Tracking of visitor statistics, notifications and maximum customer involvement to improve sales.
Digitization of Social Collaboration and Integration
Social collaboration and integration is a to-go approach for digital transformation journey where organizations has to take it on top priority because it is directly related to your business growth. Below can be done to implement it
- Implement/Enhance social collaborative digital platform for rapid business growth
- Integrate top social media platforms in customer or agent facing portals and applications
- Implement transparent feedback system for business processes and offerings
- Mobile and other smart devices based business models should be exposed globally
- Digital Collaborative Platform= Web + Mobile + Desktop+ Social
- Focus on Bring your own device (BYOD) type of innovative ideas
Digitization of Technology and Architecture
Organizations needs to focus on modernizing their legacy systems. New modern systems should be based on latest cutting edge digital technologies. Below are some guidelines for enterprises
- Define new technology architecture and road-map for digitization.
- Redesign old systems (products, services, portals, applications etc.)
- Use of open source API's, tools, frameworks, business products and solutions
- Adopt latest BI tools, Big data and Cloud based platforms
- Design focus on high performance smart devices (Mobile first driven solutions)
- Focus on data analytics and data mining based intelligent solutions
- Start using DevOps platforms for future reformation
- Plan for 100% Automation for any ongoing enhancement
Digitization of Business Critical Data, Analytics and Virtualization
Organizations should also consider digitization of business data and its analytics. Below can be taken into account while implementing digital transformation.
- Introduce secure cloud platform (private/public/hybrid cloud) with big data consideration
- Adopt latest cutting edge tools and technologies for data analytics (e.g. Splunk, App-dynamics and Dynatrace etc.
- Adopt latest Business Intelligence (BI) technologies for data warehousing, data mining, reporting and decision making
Digital Transformation: Implementation Workflow
Business Enterprises can follow this typical workflow for their digital transformation.
Step: 1 (Identification)
Identify the core capabilities that provide competitive business advantage, it includes IT modernization and simplification capabilities. Let us build a core digital team with required skills to move ahead in this journey.
Step: 2 (Analysis)
Based on step#1, perform a regress round of feasibility analysis and based on that design a global digital operating model, it should connect the overall business enterprise ensuring end-to-end business processes. Let us get a gist of digital transformation journey.
Step: 3 (Design your road-map)
Based on step#2, develop a detailed high and low level transformation road-map and design outline business cases and multiple streams of development and enhancement work that needs to be considered for this journey. Let us see how our road-map will be implemented.
Step: 4 (Process your design)
Based on step#3 develop and share business plan along with detailed technical architecture and other functional and technical specifications that fits the designed operating model for this huge enterprise level digital transformation. Let us go ahead and get your hands dirty. Can we do it?
Step: 5 (Implement your design)
Based on step#4, start the implementation, build incrementally and iteratively with testing and end to end system automation capabilities. Customer centric focus is required for all innovative solutions. Let us see what did we implement? Verify the digital-ism of the solution. Wow we have done it. Yes we are digital now. Now stay digital !!
PS: Watch out this space for more interesting feeds and regular updates on digital transformation journey.