It is important to know your audience, their motivational factors, their cultural background and their personal interests to cater the same learning content in different style and flavour. For instance I always fall asleep reading books on history while same topic shown on TV captures my attention.
To talk about a real time scenario; my previous organisation had a customised Learning Management System(LMS); a great learning portal linking to online library, thousands of E-learnings, podcasts, videocasts, blogs and all of Web 2.0 aspects. Every quarter when we pulled reports, the statistic showed as predicted that Consulting service groups took the most advantage of this portal, followed by Audit, Tax and least being utilized by the Financial Services. The global report further showed that US, Mexico, Canada utilised these resources more than any other country. It was time to boost and motivate the UK employee to become avid learners. The strategies followed were the ten fold path listed below:-
1. Through Managers : - Tying the online learning content to Personal Development Plans
2. Through HR :- Making relevant resources as mandatory and to be part of compliance with HR policies
3. Through Challenges :- Assessments, Quizzes and Game based learning contents were part of weekly challengers on every Industry portals.
4. Through Rewards :- Motivating by rewarding with certificates/gift etc on course completions
5. Through Active Marketing: - Showcasing the Top ten books of the month, the new online resources, videos, podcast etc.
6. Through Promoting within Service Lines: - Each Service line had a learning curriculum where the online content was mapped, this gave a clear guidance to the learner on what learning was mapped for them. Similarly each Service lines and Industry learning portal had their own bookshelves mapped to online library.
7. Through Blended Learning: - Introducing online resources as prerequisite for classroom session or as good after read content.
8. Through Innovative technologies : - helping to enable learning portal to be accessed through company mobile.
9. Through Leadership : By introducing and re-introducing company's learning capabilities and resources during induction, orientation and other seminars and meetings.
10. Through Learning Community: - A learning network of blogs, wiki and profiles to spread learning across the organisation.
Do you think the measures above helped the statistic get better? Watch out for part 2 .