Performance Point Server - Reports Migration
Recently I have a weired problem which made me to recreate all the forms that we have created in Development environment to be created in UAT environment.
We have created a set of forms in development environment of PPS and assigned it to Users. Since it's a development environment, the dimensions were deleted from the backend and they were reloaded using ETL routines. Once the development environment is stabilised, time has come to move to UAT. We migrated DB to UAT and created the dimensions with ETL routines. When we started migrating reports that's when we figured out a weird problem.
We moved one Report from Dev to UAT and opened it in UAT. To our surprise, we could find any data in UAT. We checked the DB and cube and they were all perfect and they all show proper data. We even browsed the cube to find the data proper. Then we had a doubt and we opened the MDX query in the UAT Report. We immediately noticed the MDX queries are referring to MemberIds instead of labels of the dimensions. It was interesting to note that. What this means that the same query which works in Dev will not work in UAT or Prod if you have truncated the dim tables for testing prupose on Dev. If you have clean Dev environment (which in many cases is rare), then your reports will work like charm.
Now we are stuck with a problem which is typical for a v1 product and we are about to look for the workaround to enable our UAT users to being their test the next day.
We had the following options to resolve this problem:
1. Create the reports all new in UAT
2. Migrate the environment as is