Over the weekend received preordered XBOX Kinect at home. It was very easy to install. Within few minutes of opening box, my son and i were jumping in front of it playing river rafting games bundled in Kinect Adventures game pack.
I am not a serious gamer myself, hence this post to be seen in that light.
1. Overall expereince has been excellent. Manual gives easy steps to connect it. Hardware is sleek. Instructions on the screen are easy to follow. It took about 15 to 20 mins to get started from the time I opened the box. Spent few mins searching for correct power socket. More on it below.
2. Took few mins to figure out how to control the avatars. Once got used to it, it worked like charm.Had tough time controlling my son initiailly. Was rolling over with laughter. He was amazed to see TV responds to him. Had a whale of time trying "does avatar responds to this move" kind of stuff. Responsiveness was good. Need to check responsiveness after few weeks of playing.
3. Some games are so involved like river rafting and popping out space bubbles. Dodging obstacles, jumping and moving around was intense. Was sweating within 30 mins. Lost bit of time sense in our excitement.
4. During games pictures were taken and can be viewed post games. Had a great fun seeing us jumping off the floor. Photos can be uploaded to XBOX live site.
Few things to note.
1. Download from XBOX Live to update the XBOX took more than 45 mins as I dont have a very fast broadband at home. BSNL( broadband carrier) local exchange in our locality doesnt offer 4 MB/sec speeds yet. As my son wanted to play the game first, So opted for update after we played few games. This may not be XBOX or Kinect issue as such.
2. Kinect requires 15 AMP power socket. Luckily for me my home UPS power socket was available right behind entertainment center. So disconnected UPS and connected Kinect power plug to get started. Fixed up an appoinment with electrician to get a permanent and separate 15 AMP connection. Hope it doesn't require major cabling or cable hanging around spoling my living room look. I seriously doubt many houses having 15 AMP power socket near their entertainment centers.
3. Took a while to figure out how to exit from the games.
Success of this platform lies with compelling games at affordable prices. I am sure MS and eco system would come up with some great games in coming months.
Not explored the speech interface much. Overall, excited with this technology where "You are the controller". As always the consumer market is at forefront of adoption of new technologies and it is only matter of time, such new technologies find their uses in the enterprises. There are reports about Kinect's ability to connect to PCs. Combined with Augmented Reality and Mobility I see many possibilities emerging. More of it later.