Critical points to be consider while "Asset Group" Design process for Successful eAM implementation
Following factors would help in designing the Asset Grouping "Asset Group"
1) Grouping by Similar Type of Assets :- Asset Grouping should be based on Similar Type of Assets
e.g. CNC Lathe, Conventional Lathe (Manual), based on specific application/usage i.e. Vertical Lathe (VTL), Horizontal Lathe etc and its Manufacturer.
2) Similar Asset Specifications/ Technical Details (Attributes) :- Asset Grouping should be based on similar Technical Details of an asset (Attributes) ,
Asset Attributes are linked to the Asset Groups only and gets defaulted from the Asset Group to Asset Number.
e.g. CNC Lathe Group will have following asset Attributes
a) Make of CNC system
b) Type of Scale
c) Type of Ball Screw
d) Make of DC/AC Servo motor
e) Tachometer Type/Make
So whenever an Asset is created out of above asset group (CNC Lathe) all the above attributes would automatically get copied to the new Asset Number which got created out of "CNC Lathe" Group.
e.g. Conventional Lathe Group will have following asset Attributes
a) Make of PLC system
b) Type of Guide ways (e.g. linear)
c) Make of lead screw
d) Make of Induction motor
So whenever an Asset is created out of above asset group (Conventional Lathe) all the above attributes will automatically copied to the new Asset Number which got created out of Conventional Lathe Group.
Same is applicable in Case of Asset Categories, all the Asset Categories are initially associated/configured at the Asset Group level only and then it gets defaulted to respective Asset Number of Particular Asset Group.
3) Asset BOM :-In Asset BOM you can just mention " From effective" to "To affectivity" as "0" so that the Spare part once defined for a particular Asset Group will be applicable to All the Assets belonging to a that particular Asset Group. So Asset Group is important consideration from Asset BOM designs point of view and its maintenance.
4) Searching of Asset Number:- Searching of Asset Number becomes easy as assets are grouped in proper logical Asset Group , e.g. If you want to search Asset and you are not aware of the Asset Number but you know it is CNC type lathe then you can search it based on the Asset Group "CNC lathe" and get only all the CNC lathes .
5) Preventive Maintenance Forecasting: - If you Group the assets correctly then Generating and defining preventive maintenance becomes easy e.g. If you want to Generate PM only for CNC lathes then you can just select Asset Group of CNC Lathe and Generate a PM for all the assets belonging to CNC Lathe Asset Group. Similarly if you define Proper Asset group, defining the Preventive maintenance becomes easy as you can forecast the PM jobs based on the Asset Groups.
6) Cost analysis:- You can analyses the Maintenance cost of All CNC Lathe Vs Convention lathes by making use of Asset Groups through reports.
7) Templates for Activity and Preventive Maintenance:- Asset Grouping is very important while defining the Templates for "Activity Association Template" and Preventive Maintenance (PM) "Schedule Template Definition" and "Meter Template Association".
These templates get defined only at the Asset Group Level .Once you define the Templates for "Activity Association Template" and "Schedule Template Definition" for PM at Asset Group level , in future if any new asset is defined out of above Asset Group system would automatically create link the activities from Activity template and create PM plan defaulting the values from the Template. So the effort of association of activity and definition of new PM reduced also no chance of missing PM activities on new machines /Equipments coming inside the Plant/Fields.
8) Failure Analysis:- Asset Group important consideration while Failure analysis configuration, all the Failure sets are linked to Asset Groups only . Failure codes from the Failure sets gets defaulted to the work orders of respective Asset Group's Asset Numbers.
To summaries, while designing the "Asset Group" you have to consider above important points and there should not be just one Asset Group for different types of Assets at the same time it should not be one to one ( One Asset Group to One Asset Number) which would create major issue while maintaining and searching the Asset data.