How can you manage user expectations while transitioning from existing BI platforms and applications to Oracle BI Fusion Edition?
In my opinion, an integrated & focused approach towards managing user expectations is required to fulfill this objective. This approach should concentrate on the following key areas:
• BI Governance Program & Roadmap: Depending upon the management style and culture of the company we should develop a program & structure consisting of decision making bodies, program manager, key concern areas, rules & principles for implementation along with a visual plan clearly demarcating timelines and deliverables at various stages of the implementation. Ownership is critical in this program as success of the transition depends upon continuous evaluation and reporting. BI Roadmap provides the executives a time-bound and comprehensible execution strategy.
• Role Mapping and Tool fitment: Increasing usability is synonymous with reducing complexity and this is achieved by understanding user roles and information & BI functionality required for each role. This aids in fitment of Fusion application for each role thus removing superfluous functionalities and configuring the right ones. Role mapping is very effective in delivering highly interactive and self-service BI.
• Marketing Plan: Popularizing Fusion BI should be done by devising campaigns using videos, SMS/ MMS, e-mails, posters, blogs etc. Publishing of weekly newsletters describing the functionality of the new application and timelines for the implementation helps in users getting acclimatize to the change. Regular meeting across departments and projects encourage familiarity with the applications, thus improving adoption and usage rates. Stimulation of interest about the application among users through incentives abets this process.
• Support & Feedback: Tools should be implemented in order to capture user problems and catalogued to develop FAQ's. Dedicated helpdesk need to be set-up for collecting the queries and resolving issues pertaining to the BI Fusion application. Surveys should be conducted periodically to generate information regarding BI user experience and ways of improving them.
• Monitoring Usage statistics of the Fusion BI application and understanding how users are reacting to the change can bring about remarkable insights to the usability of the application.
I would be interested to know your experience in such situations and the approach that you followed to manage user expectations while undergoing BI transition.
Meet us at Booth No. 1701, Moscone Center South, OOW 2010.
Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/infyatoow
- Shobhan Majumdar
Shobhan is an Associate Consultant in Enterprise Solutions at Infosys. He has more than two years of IT experience and good exposure to finance as well. He specializes and works on OBIEE 11g platform.