Use of Iterative Methods and Testing Strategy as key differentiator for Project Execution
For SAP Consultants, testing is one of the phase in overall implementation, change management or support projects. Testing can play a very vital role to make first time right impression on the client.
Various models in Testing are :
1. Waterfall Model à It goes sequential
2. RAD (Rapid Application Development) Model à To deliver project in short span and create testing strategy related to overall delivery schedule.
3. Iterative Model à Where development and testing goes hands in hand and multiple iterations are made.
4. Agile and Scrum à Extension of iterative model where overall Project is broken into multiple individual areas and multiple integration areas and overall delivery plan is made.
We say we are following ASAP methodology for delivering a SAP Project which has
1. Requirement Gathering
4. Cutover Activities
5. Go Live and initial support
Here we are following Waterfall or Sequential model for overall testing strategy where bulk of our testing goes in realization phase.
Instead of this if we use Agile and Scrum methodology then we can break each phase in ASAP methodology into an Iterative Method and Testing Cycle and can do multiple iterations to come out with final Results.
For Example :
Requirement Gathering : Break into multiple areas where we foresee Business expectations. Align to standard industry practices. Do multiple iterations in each area separately with business to come out with best fitted requirements. Similarly we should do multiple iterations on the integrations areas in requirement analysis and see best fitted methods for integrations.
When all individual and integrations areas are finalized, a single process (having branches) catering to multiple requirements can be formulated.
Same methodology can be applied to other phases of ASAP method. This makes us pretty confident that no area within the solution is untouched while delivering final solution to client. It makes sure also that we do not find surprises after solution goes live.
Though in practice we find difficult to go through iterative processes due to time constraints, it's always better to even include Iterative Methodology and Testing Strategy with Agile and Scrum in our efforts estimation and highlight our process as one of the key differentiator in our Proposal Response.