How to make Preventive Maintenance a way of life in SAP APO Support Projects - Part 2
In the previous blog, I had shared from my experience, the varieties of issues that we come across in a typical support project. Similarly errors can occur in master data area that affects SNP and PPDS planning. Some of typical errors I have seen are:
• In case of change in BOM components / work center in ECC, PPDS PPM gets updated in APO but SNP PPM does not get updated and continues showing consumption of old component;
• Transportation lanes or Means of transport that have expired or going to expire in near future will result in creation of purchase requisitions without any source of supply.
Careful examination of logs of daily CIF jobs can highlight the issues with PPM even before they are caught by the planners. Similarly a periodic query of t-lanes that will expire soon will help in preventing purchase requisitions without source of supply.
Above are some of the errors that I had experienced in the support project I worked. Some of these errors can be generic and can occur in any APO solution whereas some may be specific to the implementation of APO solution for a customer.
Similarly possible errors in terms of master and transactional data can be considered based on the past experience or thought through. Periodic data check processes with data checker tools and templates can be built to capture possible data issues.
Below some of the important checks that can be put in place to ensure preventive maintenance:
• Product codes having cyclic BOMs or cyclic T-lanes
• CIF delta reports that show planned order missing in R/3 with / without external key APO, PO missing in R/3, preq missing in R/3
• Planned order and preqs with missing source of supply
• PPDS orders in SNP horizon
• Logs of SNP / PPDS heuristics run
• History load from cube to planning area errors
• Forecast load from DP to SNP errors
Similarly master data checks such as below can be built using SQ01 queries
• Items with procurement type E /X but with no PPM
• SNP PPMs with more than one version of highest priority
• Transportation lanes with no means of transport
• Transportation lanes with same priority for multiple sources
• Resources where factory calendar is blank
• Quota arrangements <> 100 %
• Invalid safety stock or safety stock with wrong method
• SNP PPMs with no input components
This practice if followed regularly is bound to reduce support tickets raised by users. Hence it may impact the overall quantum of work as perceived by the client. However maintaining better quality data will ensure that planners always get a plan that is reliable. This will not only increase their usage of the APO solution delivering better quality plan, but also will open up more opportunities for implementing newer features that were un-explored so far. So the mantra for any SAP APO support project should be to spend more and more time doing preventive maintenance so that the occurrences of any support ticket (breakdown maintenance) are minimized.