BIRT Reporting Redefined!!
Maximo, an EAM package revolutionized the reporting concept with the introduction of BIRT ((Business Intelligence and Reporting Tool), an open source reporting tool with came packaged within the Application from the onset of Version 7. BIRT is a well-integrated tool with the Maximo application. It provides flexibility and simplicity to the end users to generate ad-hoc reports while equipping the report developers with various options to design and develop multi genre reports
Herewith sharing some of the uncommon BIRT reporting options from my Maximo implementation experience which is worthwhile exploring
1. Stored procedure based report - In one of the implementations there was requirement to perform really complex calculations in the report. These repetitive and complex calculations affected the report performance but the stored procedure based report reduced the overall performance impact.
2. Secured web service based report - One of the requirements was to provide user with the live data from the external application by providing Maximo input information. Instead of integrating these two applications a middle way was found to provide users data by accessing the secured web services hosted by the external application using the BIRT report. Maximo information was passed as input and the users received instant access to the information that they were looking for without leaving the Maximo application. This helped to bring the single application feel.
3. Function based report - Similar to stored procedure based option where same complex calculation was required within the report multiple times the function based approach helped to improve the reporting performance and simplify the design for the developers
4. Dual database based reports - User requirement to query multiple databases for the aggregation of data was fulfilled using the option of querying two databases. This provided the view for two different data records in a single report instead of integrating or having a data warehouse solution.
5. Database insert/update report - One of the reporting requirements was to insert and /or update the database table based on the schedule. Here report was developed and scheduled to update the database and then email user with the updated information.
6. Report aggregation and printing - One of the reporting requirements was to aggregate six to seven reports into one and print them as package with a single click.
7. Reports as PDF's - Combined Maximo and BIRT features to launch the Maximo reports as direct PDF's with a single click of the button reducing the number of clicks for the end users before they verify and print the report.