Discuss, debate and exchange ideas on latest trends and opportunities in the Business Process Management (BPM) landscape. Deliberate on adding “business value” to clients, vendors, employees and various other stakeholders to enhance customer satisfaction and sustain long term partnerships.


May 30, 2017

Amplifying HR with New Age Cognitive Technology

New companies such as Amazon, Facebook have embraced Digital cognitive technology in managing their HR, which has enabled them to be highly impactful on business. Our experience of working with companies around the world to amplify the impact of HR on business has helped us carve out a distinct path for HR to embrace the digital journey.

Continue reading "Amplifying HR with New Age Cognitive Technology" »

May 29, 2015

The New Avatar of BPO: A Partner in Risk, a Financial Engineer and a Trusted Executer

With need for greater agility resonated by all clients, BPO is getting ready for its new avatar!

Continue reading "The New Avatar of BPO: A Partner in Risk, a Financial Engineer and a Trusted Executer" »

July 10, 2014

HR future state operating model

I envisage the HR ecosystem changing significantly over the coming decade and see the need for a dynamic operating model for the HR function to stay in sync with this.

Continue reading "HR future state operating model" »

January 22, 2014

Collective Intelligence and Analytics

 In today's collective economy where we see diverse applications and heavy information consumption, it is imperative that we seek patterns and linkages in data.

Continue reading "Collective Intelligence and Analytics" »

October 10, 2013

Spotting Transformers - A HR Practitioner's cheat sheet

While it is clear that transformational thinking is at the root of innovation and success, it is not a skill that is commonly available. HR has to be smart to identify and nurture these 'outliers' in the system.

Continue reading "Spotting Transformers - A HR Practitioner's cheat sheet" »

May 10, 2013

Rewriting the rules of creating custom content

Today companies like Infosys are taking some bold steps. They are changing the way to more flexible units of learning - they are no more interactive flash based elearning content hosted in a LMS.

Continue reading "Rewriting the rules of creating custom content" »

March 22, 2013

Smart HR with Smartphones

Mobility has come a long way. Bulky Personal Computers and complex operating systems are on their way out. The desktop paradigm and the workstations are dying. Million dollar single function systems and complex interfaces are being questioned. A new eco-system is emerging in the space.

Continue reading "Smart HR with Smartphones" »

March 12, 2013

Measuring Training Effectiveness: Let's Not Overdo

Talk about measuring training effectiveness and think about the post-course happy sheet-the feedback form!! This has become a standard staple safe game plan. But this falls short of a meaningful business performance indicator because liking a training/trainer, environment and eventually individual's training experience, after all, does not necessarily lead to learning.

Continue reading "Measuring Training Effectiveness: Let's Not Overdo" »

February 22, 2013

Why are ESS adoptions low? You need more than a portal...

User interface for business systems have long been a point of argument. When people can use Facebook without a help file, why should systems that we use in office make us cringe?

Continue reading "Why are ESS adoptions low? You need more than a portal..." »

February 13, 2013

Making the Ulrich model work

The Ulrich model works and works very well. What has gone missing is the willingness to examine the structure every once in a while and make course corrections to adapt it to the growing needs of the business.

Continue reading "Making the Ulrich model work" »

January 21, 2013

When CSR is not Just About CSR, but Also Talent Retention and Business Innovation

Can CSR as we know it be reimagined in an enterprise context? Can we redefine the rules in such a way as to integrate CSR, business models, and talent retention?

Continue reading "When CSR is not Just About CSR, but Also Talent Retention and Business Innovation" »

January 8, 2013

Recruitment v/s Talent Acquisition

It is very common to mix up Talent Acquisition with Recruitment. I have often seen even seasoned HR professionals use the term interchangeably. So what is Talent Acquisition and how can we differentiate it from Recruitment? Here is a simple explanation.

Continue reading "Recruitment v/s Talent Acquisition" »

November 21, 2012

Managing Workplace Wellness - Go beyond Benefits Administration with your HRO partner

With increasing strain on healthcare administration, health and wellness initiatives have a huge social dividend as well. But, such initiatives require time, attention, effort and investments - all of which are difficult for HR in the current economic scenario. This is where an innovative HRO provider can fit right in.

Continue reading "Managing Workplace Wellness - Go beyond Benefits Administration with your HRO partner " »

October 22, 2012

Employee Engagement and The Why of Work

Employee Engagement has been in the forefront of a lot of discussions around HR outsourcing nowadays.Successful leaders are able to connect individual aspirations with what the organization is up to.

Continue reading "Employee Engagement and The Why of Work" »

July 20, 2012

Preserving Knowledge over centuries -- Insights on Knowledge Management from cultural practices, for corporate benefit

Sometime back an acquaintance shared an interesting incident. He was the General Manager at a large industrial unit and was given the responsibility of heading a committee that was building a temple in the factory premises. Being an engineer and a manager, he was intrigued to find out how the traditional builders would go about the project. On the appointed day, the Stapathi (the traditional temple architect) arrived at the project site with his assistants. After an evaluation, he started uttering a set of instructions which was in Sanskrit to his assistants. The assistants who seemed to understand the code just nodded their head. There was hardly any notes of blueprints taken. In a few months, the temple came up with every mason exchanging standard sets of instructions to others in codes that was hardly understood by the engineers sponsoring the project. All they could decipher was these were some kind of 'Sutras' that was passed on from generation to another.

Continue reading "Preserving Knowledge over centuries -- Insights on Knowledge Management from cultural practices, for corporate benefit" »

March 22, 2012

Back to basics -- Putting help back into the help desk

It is the dotted-lined bridge that HR leaders have to cross to evolve, from just being the basic administration department providing the threadbare solutions to being the Human Resource department which is adept at tackling the employee-specific problems.

The industry today is plagued with the assembly line approach. Once the HR head of a company remarked that, "95% of the time, things are fine and predictable. It is how well you manage the other 5% that sets you apart from the ordinary".

Most employee helpdesk models (that I have seen) are designed to just address the 95% of the most common queries and end up providing no added value. The real challenge is how well helpdesks manage the other 5%. And, in general, helpdesk models are weak in doing this.

Employee queries often arise during the first few weeks of joining or when they get transferred to a new location or when they move to a new role. Proactively addressing some of the potential issues that a new joinee may have can go a long way in improving employee engagement. Better still, is the idea of assigning a "Helpdesk buddy" for a new joinee that s/he can call for help during the initial days.

The other model is to find out the most annoying moments during the first 90 days of a new job and create simple text messages that can be delivered to the employee's mobile phone. I am sure I would have loved to get them during my initial days.

Another idea is to categorize helpdesk support based on the roles people play in an organization. Many helpdesks designers tend to follow "one-size-fits-all" idiom and lose out on customizing. As a salesman, I would be more worried about the calculation of commission or travel; while as a factory worker, it could be on overtime or safety. A helpdesk that just talks about 'generic' HR policy queries may not find a lot of 'likes'.

In the BG days (Before Google) days, remember the frustration of using the help feature that used to come with software? You needed to remember the exact terms and even the capitalizations words to get to the right kind of information. Today, in the AG (After Google) days, queries are universally accessible through a variety of blogs and social websites which are user-generated. You can now practically get answers to almost any question - a quality that the helpdesk should be heading to. Imagine how helpful that would be.

The online community model -- where users take ownership of the community -- should work its way into the enterprise HR model. Answers to employee queries should be fresh and updated, generated by those working in the company. This will increase employee engagement as well as shift the onus of responsibility solely from the HR leaders to the users themselves - the employees.

To gain a better understanding of the role of BPO in HR, access Maheedharan Thiagarajan's Point of View to 'Transform to the Human Resources Face of Tomorrow'.

Subscribe to this blog's feed

Follow us on

Blogger Profiles

Tweets by @InfosysBPM